Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Underneath It All

How can nonverbal aspects of communication NOT be considered an integral part of a political campaign? In my opinion it is the nonverbal aspects of the current presidential election that’s got everyone in a tizzy.

Questions like, “Who’s a better speaker?” are answered by not only looking at speech quality but nonverbal qualities as well. Is the candidate displaying confident body language?

Don’t you think that Obama and McCain have someone to tell them how to sit and stand during a debate? I know that’s what I’m thinking about when I’m watching….perhaps that makes me weird…or a student of sociology. J

I agree that nonverbal aspects of communication can influence a voter’s decision. I won’t get into who I’m voting for but I can tell you three things:

1. I do not know much about political policy.

2. I recognize just how important nonverbal cues are to overall communication.

3. Quality of communication will influence my decision in this election.



Kopacz, M. (2006). Nonverbal communication as a persuasion tool: Current status and future directions. Rocky Mountain Communication Review, 3(1), 1-19.

1 comment:

RichardS said...

Erin:
I agree completely! Good job.

Richard